The 2009 Spanish Film Festival opens 7pm Wednesday 13th May at Palace Cinema Como.
Join us for the Melbourne Premiere of CHEF’S SPECIAL, the hugely entertaining new comedy starring festival guest Javier Cámara (Talk To Her) as a headstrong Madrid chef whose life is turned upside down by the arrival of his son and a new love interest. The screening will be followed by a Spanish fiesta featuring Spanish wine, beer and live latin/salsa/funk entertainment to dance away to from the OJ Project (featuring Oscar Jimenez and members of Watussi) – it will be a night to remember!
The Opening Night event headlines a fantastic 12 day festival that features over twenty five Melbourne premieres screening May 13-24 at Palace Cinema Como & Kino Cinemas.
Festival highlights include:
• The lively new comedy RUDO & CURSI (M) that reunites the stars of Y Tu Mamá También, Gael Garcia Bernal & Diego Luna;
• The audacious new comedy THE SHAME direct from the 2009 Malaga Film Festival;
• Lena Burke in the feel-great new comedy LA MALA which features a hit salsa & bolero soundtrack;
• Augustín Díaz Yanes’ spectacular new thriller JUST WALKING featuring an all-star cast including Victoria Abril & Diego Luna;
• The fascinating new doco A WAR IN HOLLYWOOD about the US film industry’s depiction of the Spanish Civil War;
• The witty new Cuban comedy HORN OF PLENTY from director Juan Carlos Tabio (Strawberry & Chocolate);
• The heart-warming new documentary OLD MAN BEBO about octogenarian pianist and Mambo pioneer Bebo Valdes;
• A TRIBUTE TO LUIS BUNUEL retrospective
• and many more!
Plus special events:
• Q&A with Javier Cámara following the gripping new Civil War drama BLIND SUNFLOWERS 6.30pm Thu 14 May at Palace Cinema Como;
• Introduction by Javier Cámara before his hit film TALK TO HER, 9.15pm Thu 14 May at Palace Cinema Como
• Closing Night “Salsateca” – the Cuban comedy HORN OF PLENTY will be followed by drinks, music & Salsa DJ! 7.15pm Sun 24 May at Palace Cinema Como.
Dates: May 13-24
Venues: Palace Cinema Como (Corner Toorak Road and Chapel Street South Yarra), Kino Cinemas (45 Collins St, Melbourne).
Tickets: Opening Night: $40 / Closing Night “Salasteca”: $25.00
General Sessions: Adult $16.00, Movie Club $13.50, Children $10 (check film classification)
5 Film Pass: $70 (not available online)
HURRY - TICKETS NOW ON SALE!
• At the cinemas in person 12.00-8.30pm daily
• By calling Palace Cinema Como on 9827 7533 or Kino Cinemas on 9650 2100. (Please note cinema box offices only sell tickets for their respective venues)
• Online 24hrs http://www.palacecinemas.com.au
Monday, May 04, 2009
Spanish Film Festival 2009
Spanish cinema is not without its flaws, but it has a very definite cultural flavour that I appreciate. It doesn't shy away from politics or transgression. As just posted, the Spanish Film Festival opens next week. I'm going to be lazy and just cut and paste the promotional material: