I thought I'd post about what I think might be worth catching up on at the cinemas over the next few weeks (other than what I've previously mentioned):
- Chevolution screens at ACMI until Sunday.
- Mad Max screens at ACMI this Saturday 4pm, with Mad Max 2 and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome screening over the following two Saturdays. I've never seen any of these so am hoping to catch up on a bit of local film history.
- Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas screens at the Astor on Monday 5 Jan.
- The Conformist screens at the Astor on Sunday 11 Jan.
- A new print of David Lean's Blithe Spirit is getting half a dozen screenings at ACMI between 17 and 26 Jan (Australia Day).
- ACMI is celebrating the Australia Day weekend with a tribute to indigenous actor David Gulpilil. The films are: Walkabout, Storm Boy, Gulpilil: One Red Blood, The Last Wave, Rabbit Proof Fence, Dark Age, The Tracker and Mad Dog Morgan. I've not seen any of these, but am keen to see at least five of them (if I can fit them in).
- Melbourne Filmoteca's screening of Bialet Massé, un siglo despues (Bialet Massé: A Century Later) at ACMI on Tuesday 27 Jan at 7.30pm.
If you don't know about Google Calendars, take a guided tour on the website. It's a great way to keep informed by subscribing to one or more special interest calendars, or creating one or more of your own. You can collaborate with others (as I did at MIFF last year) and so on. You can, for example, subscribe to a calendar that you find through a search according to your criteria, and whatever events interest you, choose to receive reminders as either popups or emails.